New Year Resolutions & You

8:28:00 PM



Happy New Year!



One of the things that people commonly do all over the world for every New Year is to try and make a few New Year Resolutions. To be frank that was something that even I used to do when I was much younger. But then like everyone, a few weeks, perhaps a few days into it, I found myself falling short of every one of those decisions that I had made.

Research says that people normally break off their New Year resolutions within the first seventeen days. So let me ask you a question right now, have you broken your resolutions for this year already? If you have then this post is for you.



This year I decided not to make any resolutions. I thought of changing the entire system a little bit. Every December, one of the things that I do is to sit back and reflect at what all has gone by in the past year and I look forward to the new things that would happen in the following year.

In doing so, this last month, I realized something about resolutions that I think could be the reason as to why many people don't completely follow through. There are many reasons why people don't generally keep up their resolutions. It could be due to lack of commitment, lack of time, lack of discipline etc.

The primary reason I believe why people don't follow through their resolutions is because they don't give enough time for it to become a part of their lives.

A resolution is trying to incorporate a system into us that never was.

When we make a resolution, we generally try to make a decision to do something that we have never done before. It could be taking up exercise to lose weight. It could be in trying to break a habit or an addiction.

Whatever it is, it is a decision that would change some of our normal day to day routine. And the reason why we tend to break off our resolutions quite soon is because we don't give enough time to get used to that new change.

Which is why, instead of making resolutions, I decided to have goals this year.
So I want to challenge all of us this year to set goals that we can achieve by the end of this year.

Michael Hyatt, CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers writes in his blog on setting goals,


“Goals should be s-m-a-r-t: 
  • Specific your goals just identify exactly what you want to accomplish in as much specificity as you can muster. 
  • Measurable  as the old adage says, “You can’t manage what you can’t measure.” 
  • Actionable  every goal should start with a verb (e.g., “quit,” “run,” “finish,” “eliminate,” etc.) 
  • Realistic  you have to be careful here. A good goal should stretch you, but you have to add a dose of common sense. 
  • Time-bound every goal needs a date associated with it.
I believe that we should go public with our goals. Going public keeps us accountable. That's a great way to keep check on ourselves.
So here are my goals for this year:
  • Finish reading the entire Bible.
  • Finish reading 24 books. You can track me here at Shelfari. (Stretching myself a bit here but should be worth it.)
  • Write 24 blogs out. That's like almost two blogs per month. (Yes, this means I should be blogging more!)
  • Develop 3 young people into leaders. (At church!)

Well those are the ones I want to see get done by the end of the year. It’s a short list. That’s so that I can try and finish it! In being able to complete long term goals, we will be able to develop a certain discipline as long as we are focused.

It was Henry David Thoreau who said, "What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." 

So that means goals help us to become better as we try and achieve them.

Here's wishing you a great 2013! All the best in setting goals for the coming year! And hope to see a new you at the end of it!

 
















You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I don't make resolutions and if someone asks me, I say, 'I resolve to loose weight.' I always feel it will act as an inspiration to me. Well, I never started it so the 17 days rule doesn't apply on me.

    Good luck with keeping yours. The shelf of the Amazon Shelfari shows your collection, if thats the case, then good choice. However, Chetan Bhagat's book is not that great.

    Happy New Year to you too and post soon, remember 1 more for January.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Saru!
      Yeah resolutions don't work if we are expecting to see results out of it...
      Yup, Chetan Bhagat was a one time read and that book ain't all that great!
      Working on the new post! Hoping to make it! Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  2. Hi Danny,
    Nice to be here,
    Good thoughts too.
    Yes, let us stick on it so that we get a good result
    I too never make any resolution as such, just because I don't want to break in the middle. But I like your first one:Finish reading the entire Bible. I appreciate you for the priority you give to the Holy Word. Keep going, Keep inform. I am here via Shobhrup's page.

    Best Regards
    Philip

    PS: Simon, please take out the word verification from here, this is one of the reason why I think the less response from the readers, it gives a horrible time to the one who wants to comment on your page. this you can do it by going to the dashboard. Have a good day. Tks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philip!
      Thanks a lot! Yup, God is a priority for me!
      Will look into the verification thing... Thanks again for mentioning it!

      Delete

Blogs I read